One of the most common complaints of protein supplements is an upset stomach.
Cramping, gas and bloating are just a couple side effects of protein powders.
This isn’t necessarily due to the quality of ingredients, although that can play a part, but rather that many people are somewhat lactose intolerant.
While you may enjoy a glass of milk or a bowl of ice cream without a problem, sometimes just one cup of a protein shake can send you quickly to the bathroom.
In a Hurry? Bottom Line Up Front: I really Ora Organic Protein. It’s a great non-dairy alternative, but doesn’t skimp on the core ingredients that you need AND includes a unique digestive blend precisely made to target stomach sensitivities.
The most popular protein powder supplements are made of whey, which is a dairy product. If you have a very sensitive stomach you should skip pure whey and instead look into dairy alternatives, whey isolate powders or blends.
Here are 6 of some of the best protein supplements for those with finicky stomachs.
- Contains special digestive blend specifically for stomach issues
- All natural, Non-GMO, Soy-free
- Has 22g of protein
- 1 Ora Organic Vegan Protein
- 2 SAN Rawfusion
- 3 GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Isolate
- 4 Syntrax Nectar
- 5 Pro JYM Blended Protein
- 6 Core Nutritionals Core ISO
- 7 Yuve All-In-One Protein Shake
- 8 Final Scoop: Which is the Best Easy to Digest Protein Powder?
- 9 Still Haven’t Found What You Want?
Ora is definitely my FAVORITE go-to recommendation for clean, organic vegan protein (plant-based protein) that’s easy on the stomach.
Ora Organic Protein Powder is a USDA-certified organic protein powder derived entirely from plant sources.
Benefits of Ora Organic Protein
- 18 grams of complete protein per serving
- 6 grams of net carbs (carbs minus fiber) per serving
- USDA-certified Organic; 100% natural
- Dairy, soy, gluten, and GMO-free
- Made in the USA
- Supports a healthy balanced diet (vitamins and minerals)
- Healthy amino fatty acids
- Suitable as a meal replacement food
- No added sugar; no artificial sweeteners or flavorings (great for weight loss or weight maintenance)
- Price: $49.99 for 560 grams (1.2 pounds) (SAVE 10% with code ALTPROTEIN at checkout here)
- Vegan and Vegetarian-friendly
The vegan / vegetarian protein powder is made from protein-rich ingredients like flax, hemp, spirulina, quinoa, rice, and peas. It is an all-natural alternative to whey, egg, and casein proteins, perfect for those who prefer to avoid animal products and want only certified organic protein.
Further Reading: My Full Ora Organic Vegan Protein Review.
Another excellent protein supplement for those with sensitive stomachs is plant protein powders. There aren’t as many plant-based protein or vegan protein powders on the market and it can be difficult to find a high-quality one. SAN Nutrition has one particularly good raw plant protein powder call Rawfusion.
Benefits of Rawfusion include:
- Nutrients per scoop:
- 116 calories
- .7g fat
- .7g fiber
- 5g carbs
- 21g protein
- 5g BCAAs
- Free of dairy (cow’s milk by products), soy and all animal products
- 100% raw vegan (supports a vegan diet)
- Suitable as a meal replace food or shake
- Assists in making and maintaining muscle mass
Rawfusion is a vegan blend of 4 types of plant proteins:
- Pea protein isolate
- Sprouted brown rice
- Artichoke protein concentrate
- EFA-rich sunflower oil
The Rawfusion powder is unlikely to cause any stomach upsets as it is completely allergy and lactose-free. It has no artificial flavors or sweeteners and is sugar-free. Compared to other vegan protein powders it is also very reasonably priced (check here).
Unfortunately, it doesn’t have the best flavor compared to whey powders. Plant-based protein powders are notorious for being chalky, gritty and just not very tasty. Rawfusion is definitely better tasting than others of it’s kind but may take some getting used to if you’ve never experimented past whey powders.
For some, the only solution to a happy stomach is completely forgoing traditional animal protein sources. If you can handle whey isolates or any whey blend, Rawfusion is a GREAT plant-based diet alternative.
GNC is a popular brand but often looked down on as a cheaper brand. Their normal whey protein powders can cause stomach problems but before skipping them all together, try their Pro Performance 100% Whey Isolate powder.
Whey Isolate is essentially a double-processed whey that is finished through a microfilter system and an ion-exchange process. This turns the normal whey that causes problems into a much gentler whey isolate that has almost no lactose present.
Benefits of this 100% Whey Isolate include:
- Nutrients per scoop:
- 140 calories
- 1g fat
- 2g sugar
- 4g carbs
- Two flavors – Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Supreme
- 28 grams of protein per serving
- 6 grams of BCAAs per serving
- Easy digestion and fast absorption
- Supports lean muscle growth (build muscle)
- Supports weight loss
- Boosts metabolism (healthy diet)
- Quickens recovery
Most people who can’t tolerate regular whey can drink whey isolate with minimal stomach issues. You still get all of the benefits of traditional whey which makes this product a great choice.
Syntrax Nectar is another Whey Protein Isolate option for sensitive stomachs. They might not be as well known of a brand as others but they do have a strong fan base. Being a smaller company they really focus on quality above all else.
Benefits of Syntrax Nectar include:
- Nutrients per scoop:
- 100 calories
- 23 grams of protein
- Has zero fat, sugar and carbs
- 11 flavors – Apple Ecstasy, Dragon Fruit Fusion, Lemon Tea, Roadside Lemonade, Fuzzy Navel, Caribbean Cooler, Pink Grapefruit, Strawberry Kiwi, Crystal Sky, Twisted Cherry, and Wild Grape
- Made with the highest quality Promina Whey Isolate
- Mixes easily into any liquid
- Lactose and gluten free
When it comes to taste, Syntrax has really mastered the art of perfect fruity flavors. Most protein supplements are creamier flavors to resemble a milkshake. This brand went the other route and decided to focus on all fruit flavors. Mixed with water these will taste like juice. Or mix with almond milk and some fresh fruit for a tasty smoothie.
As mentioned before, since this is a whey isolate powder there shouldn’t be digestive issues. Promina Whey Isolateis one of the best, if not the best, protein on the market.
Pro JYM is a protein blend created by Dr. Jim Stoppani. JYM Supplement Science is Dr. Stoppani’s brand which specializes in top quality protein supplements. While most protein powders are made of only one source, Pro JYM is made up of a few specially selected types.
This particular product is a mix of 4 types of protein:
- Whey Protein Isolate
- Micellar Casein
- Egg Albumin
- Milk Protein Isolate
These four proteins break down into the following benefits:
- Nutrients per scoop:
- 160 calories
- 5g fat
- 7g carbs
- 1g fiber
- 2g sugar
- 24 grams of protein – 12.5g of micellar casein, 9g whey and 2.5g egg white
- Four flavors – Chocolate Cookie Crunch, Cookies & Cream, S’mores and Vanilla
A protein blend has a few different benefits raning from building muscle to maintaining a balanced diet.
First off, they tend to be much gentler on the stomach than a pure protein content source. Blends also help to maximize muscle growth, muscle recovery, fat weight loss and digestion. Each protein included in Pro JYM has a specific purpose and each digest at different rates. Occasionally fast-digesting proteins like pure whey can cause stomach problems so this layered blend can be a good solution.
Core Nutritionals was created by a husband and wife bodybuilding team who were tired of low-quality supplements that never delivered on their promises. They have a few different protein supplements suitable for serious athletes or the weekend warrior types. One of their best products for sensitive stomachs is their Core ISO powder.
Benefits of Core ISO include:
- Two flavors – Chocolate Decadence and Peanut Butter Toffee
- Nutrients per scoop:
- 105 calories
- 1g fat
- 1g carbohydrates
- 23g protein
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Gluten and lactose-free
- Increase muscle growth
- Improves recovery time
- Helps sustain muscle development
Though it only comes in two flavors, both are quite delicious. This powder blends well in water, almond milk or blended in a smoothie. The lack of fillers and artificial ingredients make this whey isolate powder an especially good choice for those prone to upset stomachs or digestive issues.
You might not have heard of Yuve. It’s a rapidly growing supplement brand with a delicious all-in-one protein shake.
Yuve offers a plant-based protein blend (easier on the stomach) that is soy-free, non-GMO, and all-natural.
The key distinguishing factor for Yuve is the inclusion of a unique “Digistive Blend” made up of inulin, organic guar gum, flaxseed protease, and buckwheat sprout. This blend is specifically meant to target the digestive track and deal with many of the common sensitivies around mainstream protein supplements.
In addition to the digestive enzyme blend (digestive enzymes), Yuve leverages pea protein and rice protein, known as the most gentle plant-proteins out there.
Topping it off, Yuve includes a Metabolism and Energy Blend (chia seeds and greens) and a Healthy Aging Blend (prune, raspberry, silica, goji berry, acai berry, and grape powder).
Nutrients per scoop:
- 110 calories
- 0g fat
- 2g sugar
- 13g carbs (including 8g of fiber)
- 15g protein
- Metabolism and Energy Blend
- Healthy Aging Blend
- Digestive Blend
- Plant Protein Blend
- Works as whole meal replacement food
The unique blends and digestive tract focus make Yuve Protein a great pick for the sensitive stomachs this year.
Final Scoop: Which is the Best Easy to Digest Protein Powder?
With the number of whey protein alternatives out there, there is no reason to suffer through stomach problems related to your supplement choice.
For most a whey protein isolate can solve their problems but others may be better off with a blend. Others may have to completely eliminate any artificial ingredients or animal products. In other cases, sometimes it’s not whey causing the problem but some other ingredient causing stomach problems.
Remember that there can certainly be differences between brands so you may have to experiment before finding the right one for your body. It is worth it to ask supplement companies for samples before spending the money on a tub.
Taking the time to find that right supplement for you will be well worth it in the long run.
Bottom Line: I really Ora Organic protein. It’s a great non-dairy alternative, but doesn’t skimp on the core ingredients that you need AND includes a unique digestive blend precisely made to target stomach sensitivities. NOTE: Use our special code ALTPROTEIN at checkout to save 10% off of your order!
Still Haven’t Found What You Want?
If you are willing to go out of the mainstream whey proteins, plant based supplements can be good for sensitive stomachs.
The caveat is that it’s really dependent on your unique sensitivities. In general – however – I’ve found vegan supplements to be the most hypoallergenic and easier to digest than many whey blends.
Other Articles to Read:
- Top Alternatives to Whey – Broadly discussing some of the best alternatives to consider
- Top Hemp Protein Supplements – Hemp protein is one of my favorite plant based alternatives. If you can get past the slightly nuanced taste, it’s a good option to test for sensitive stomachs.
- Best Non Dairy Supplements – I’m of the opinion that many people suffer from un-diagnosed dairy allergies. This resource is a good overview of the top dairy free supplements.
- Top Sprouted Rice Supplements – Rice protein is among the most gentle plant supplements. If you have tried many different supplements with no luck, this might be the best option for you.
- 7 Best Tasting Vegan Protein Powders
- Best Vegan Protein Bars
- Best Paleo Protein Powder Options [Grass-Fed Cows]
- Best Post-Workout Recovery Protein Powders
- How to Find the Best Protein Powder (complete guide)
- Ideal Raw Review
- Purely Inspired Organic Protein Review
Last updated: May 4th, 2020
The information contained on www.altprotein.com website (the “Service”) is for general information purposes only.
Alt Protein assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the contents on the Service.
In no event shall Alt Protein be liable for any special, direct, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages or any damages whatsoever, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other arising out of or in connection with the use of the Service or the contents of the Service. Alt Protein reserves the right to make additions, deletions, or modification to the contents on the Service at any time without prior notice.
Alt Protein does not warrant that the Service is free of viruses or other harmful components.
The Service offers health, fitness and nutritional information and is designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.
Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health-related advice from your health-care professional because of something you may have read on the Service. The use of any information provided on the Service is solely at your own risk.
You can also review our Editorial Integrity Policy.
Health enthusiast, runner, protein nut. Owen likes to write about protein, particularly alternatve supplementation and supplement comparisons.