Whey protein is very likely the most effective of the whey protein options. It may cause problems among those with lactose intolerance, but for the average person, it’s the best choice. Not only is it a complete source of amino acids, but it’s also easily digested, highly bioavailable, and quick-acting.
For those who want to pack on muscle, burn fat, and recover from their workouts, whey protein is the way to go. But not all whey proteins are created equal.
It can be tough to find the protein powder that is as clean, free of hormones, inexpensive, and offers a good nutritional profile. Below, we take a look at Bulletproof Whey Protein Powder to see if it can meet your standards for excellence…
About Bulletproof Whey Protein
Bulletproof Whey Protein is a product designed to do more than just deliver amino acids. It contains coconut oil added into the powder, which delivers medium-chain triglycerides that are both heart-smart and diet-friendly. The extra fatty acids will help to increase energy production, but without adding too many carbs into the mix. For those who are trying to decrease body fat, it’s a good option.
Of course, what’s a protein powder without protein? The fact that it’s whey protein means you get a quick-acting dose of amino acids, speeding up post-workout recovery and promoting the development of new muscle cells.
At the same time, the bovine colostrum added into the supplement will help to boost immunity and activate cellular growth factors that will increase your disease-fighting systems. All in all, it promises to be a pretty epic product!
- Made from grass-fed cow’s milk
- Contains coconut oil and bovine colostrum
- 8 grams of protein per serving
- 25 mg of calcium per serving
- Low calorie: just 60 calories per serving
- Size: 16-ounce package
- Price: $39.95
This is a whey protein with added bovine colostrum and coconut oil. It has been given the name “bulletproof” in reference to the immunity boost it offers—courtesy of the bovine colostrum. By taking the supplement, you can boost your body’s defenses to disease while providing your muscles the nutrients needed to grow.
This is unlike most whey proteins. Instead of using whey (the byproduct of the cheese-making process), this protein powder obtains the whey protein directly from the grass-fed cow’s milk. This means that it has a much better nutritional profile than whey protein made by drying whey.
The protein powder is also minimally processed, making it as “natural” as possible. This helps to make it a highly bioavailable supplement that is easy for your body to break down, digest, and put to use.
Pros of Bulletproof Whey Protein
Here are some of the things users love about Bulletproof Whey Protein:
- Clean – The fact that the supplement is made from grass-fed cow’s milk means that it’s free of synthetic growth hormones, pesticides, and herbicides. You’ll find that it’s as clean a whey protein product as you could ask for. It’s free of environmental toxins and anything that could harm your body.
- Easy on the Digestion – Unless you’re lactose intolerant, you should have no trouble digesting this whey protein powder. It’s whey in its most natural, unprocessed state, so it will be easy on your stomach, intestines, and liver (which converts the amino acids into ATP energy for your muscles to use). While some whey proteins may cause indigestion, this is one that most users have no problem consuming.
- Added ingredients – Usually added ingredients detract from the effectiveness of a protein powder, but not in this case. The bovine colostrum makes it a powerful immune-boosting supplement, and the MCT coconut oil will make it both gut-busting and heart-smart. The combination of these three ingredients will do more than just improve your immunity to disease—it will benefit your metabolic, digestive, and cardiovascular systems as well.
Cons of Bulletproof Whey Protein
As with any product, there are a few downsides to taking Bulletproof Whey Protein:
- Pricey – You’re paying $40 for 1 pound of whey protein powder? That’s A LOT of money! Even compared to organic whey protein powder, this is a pricey product. You’ll usually pay closer to $20-$30 AT MOST for this quantity of protein powder. Definitely not a budget-friendly option.
- Low dose of protein – The average protein powder delivers a minimum of 15-20 grams of protein per serving. This protein powder only delivers 8 grams of protein per serving. Add in the bovine colostrum, and it’s close to 14 grams of a “protein blend” in each scoop. Not enough for serious muscle-building or weight loss.
- Iffy taste – Many users have a hard time with the taste of this protein powder, calling it a “bovine” flavor. The addition of bovine colostrum definitely changes the flavor of the protein powder. It’s stronger and more pungent than your regular protein powder.
Other Options to Consider
If you’re not certain the Bulletproof Whey Protein powder is your best choice, here are a few other options you may want to consider:
Naked Whey – The concept behind Naked Whey is simple: it’s whey protein powder with nothing else added. The cow’s milk comes from small dairy farms in California, and it’s a GMO-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and growth hormone-free product.
You get a whopping 25 grams of protein per serving, plus almost 6 grams of branch-chain amino acids. For those who want to build serious muscle, this is a better choice than Bulletproof Whey. It’s also significantly cheaper: $90 for 5 pounds of the stuff.
Raw Grass Fed Whey – If you’re looking for another product that is as clean and immune-friendly as Bulletproof Whey, you may want to consider this protein powder. It’s also made from grass-fed cows, and has been minimally processed to ensure that the whey contains as much of its natural nutrients as possible.
It’s a single-ingredient supplement, but it’s a great option for those who want to eat clean. The downside: at $24 for 12 ounces, it’s almost as expensive as Bulletproof Whey.
Wild Whey Grass-Fed Whey Protein –This is another great alternative for those who want a truly “clean” whey protein supplement. Made from grass-fed cow’s milk, it’s 100% free of GMO, hormones, pesticides, herbicides, soy, and gluten, with no added sugar. The single-pasteurization and air-drying process ensures the whey protein is as natural as possible.
It’s also highly biologically active, so your body has a much easier time to putting it to use than your average commercial whey protein powder. You get a solid 16 grams of protein per serving, plus 8% of your daily calcium intake and just 85 calories in each scoop. It’s not even all that pricey—just $20 for a 30-day package size.
The Final Scoop
Bulletproof Whey Protein is NOT the best supplement for those who want to build muscle. It just doesn’t have enough protein! However, what it will do is provide the nutrients your body needs to fight off disease.
The addition of coconut oil and bovine colostrum make this supplement an immune-friendly, heart-smart option. It’s definitely pricey, so you’d do well to consider other options before buying this one. Those with very sensitive taste buds may find it’s not an easy protein powder to swallow.