Whey protein is one of the most effective types of protein for quick and dirty muscle-building. It contains fast-acting amino acids that will provide you with a boost of the ATP energy your muscles burn when you work out.
You’ll find that it’s a great pre-workout supplement to give you a kick of energy during your training, and it makes a great post-workout supplement thanks to its ability to replenish burned energy and repair damaged muscle tissue.
There are two reasons people wouldn’t choose whey protein:
- It’s not vegan/vegetarian. The fact that it comes from cow’s milk makes it a non-vegan/vegetarian option. (Thankfully, we’ve got a few great products for vegans and vegetarians!–add links)
- It’s often filled with chemicals and hormones. A lot of cow’s milk is filled with the hormones, chemicals, pesticides, and toxins that cows are exposed to.
Thankfully, grass fed whey protein is the perfect solution. This type of whey protein is produced using only milk from grass fed cow, meaning they are not exposed to pesticides, hormones, chemicals, or toxins. Jarrow Formulas Grass Fed Whey is an excellent option to consider if you are looking for grass-fed whey. Read our review below to find out why…
About Jarrow Formulas Grass Fed Whey
Jarrow Formulas is a Los Angeles-based company with a self-stated goal of promoting “optimal health with high quality, effective, affordable and “cutting edge” formulations, which are based on sound scientific research data”.
Their Grass Fed Whey protein powder is made using milk from only grass fed cows (in Australia), making it as close to “organic” as it gets for whey protein powder. It is gluten-free, non-GMO product. For a dairy product, it’s a high quality option.
- Made from Australian grass-fed cow’s milk
- Free of gluten, wheat, soybeans, eggs, shellfish, fish, nuts, peanuts, and tree nuts
- Contains no artificial sweeteners or flavorings
- Contains 9.3 grams of amino acids per serving; 100 mg of calcium per serving
- Three flavors: chocolate, vanilla, and unflavored
Specifications – Ingredients List
The protein powders use all natural ingredients for flavor. The vanilla protein powder uses natural vanilla flavor, with Stevia extract as the sweetener.
Note: People with ragweed allergies are often allergic to Stevia.
The chocolate protein powder uses organic cocoa powder, natural chocolate flavor, and natural coconut flavor.
Compared to many protein powders on the market, this one contains fewer grams of amino acids than you’d expect–just over 9 per serving. However, you get a healthy dose of calcium to strengthen your bones. All in all, it’s a decent product, though not one to take if you are trying to pack on the pounds of muscle.
Pros of Jarrow Formulas Grass Fed Whey
Here are a few of the positive things users have had to say about Jarrow Formulas Grass Fed Whey:
- All-natural — For those who prefer natural, minimally processed supplements, this is a good option to consider. The fact that it’s made from grass-fed cow’s milk means that it’s as natural and you-friendly as possible, with only natural flavorings and ingredients.
- Low in calories and sugar — You get only 90 calories per serving of this protein powder, and no added sugar. The sweetness comes from the vanilla and chocolate flavorings, along with the Stevia. For those who are trying to watch their diet or blood sugar levels, it’s a good option to consider.
- Good vanilla flavor – The vanilla flavor is the most highly-recommended. It’s rich and creamy, with a mild taste that makes it the perfect base for smoothies and shakes. Most fruits will mask any “whey” flavor, making it into a delicious smoothie.
- Simple and effective — With this supplement, there’s no fluff or frills. It’s a simple, minimally processed protein powder with as few ingredients as possible but a good nutritional profile.
Cons of Jarrow Formulas Grass Fed Whey
As with any product, there are a few negative things people had to say about Jarrow Formulas Grass Fed Whey:
- Pricey — You pay $18 (as of this writing) for a 370-gram container of the stuff. Compare that to the $40 to $50 you’d pay for a 5-pound tub of other brands, you can see why the price tag is a sticking point. However, compared to other grass-fed whey and organic protein powders, it’s not too expensive. You can check here for the latest discounts.
- “Iffy” taste if not blended with milk — A number of users commented on the fact that this protein powder tastes a bit unpleasant when mixed with almond milk, soy milk, or water. The whey flavor comes out stronger unless you mix it with regular milk.
- Oversweet — This is a problem that is very common with Stevia, the natural sweetener added to the protein powder. Stevia is up to 4 times sweeter than regular sugar, and it has an unusual aftertaste that makes your food taste even sweeter. People who don’t like over-sweet protein powders may not enjoy this one.
- Must be blended — Users have remarked that the protein powder doesn’t mix well with a spoon or blender bottle, but only in the blender. When mixing it with a spoon, they complained that it forms clumps and doesn’t properly dissolve into the liquid.
Alternatives to Consider
Looking for high-quality whey protein powder but aren’t sure Jarrow Formulas Grass Fed Whey is the right one for you? Here are a few alternatives to consider:
BulkSupplements CLEAN Whey Protein Powder Isolate — This protein powder is made using a cold, micro-filtration process, ensuring that the protein powder isolate retains as much of the original amino acid content as possible. It is 90% protein, with BCAAs for enhanced muscle-building and post-workout repair. It also contains Stevia as a sweetener.
The beauty of this protein powder is that it’s significantly cheaper than Jarrow Formulas Grass-Fed Whey. You pay just $25 for a 1-kilogram container, compared to $18 for 370 grams. On the downside, it’s not made using grass-fed cow’s milk, so it’s not as natural as Jarrow Formulas’ whey protein. Find it on Amazon…
Naked Whey — This is another grass-fed whey protein powder, considered one of the top-rated products on the market. You can read our full review of Naked Whey here. It’s made in the USA, using locally-sourced milk from small dairy farms in California. It contains almost three times as much protein per serving (25 grams, compared to 9.3) as well as a hefty dose of BCAAs.
It contains no other ingredients–not even sweetener! It lives up to its name as a “naked” product, containing ONLY whey protein. The cold-processed protein powder is of the highest quality. However, it’s fairly pricey–$90 for a 5-pound tub of the stuff!(Find it on Amazon…)
Promix Unflavored — Looking for an unflavored protein powder? This is the one for you! It’s made from locally-sourced grass fed cow’s milk and produced in the USA. You get a solid 25 grams of protein per serving, along with 3 grams of carbs and 1.5 grams of fat.
It has been third-party tested for heavy metals, and is free of GMO products, soy, gluten, and nuts. It’s one of the simplest, purest whey protein supplements out there–with a price tag to match: $80 for 5 pounds of the stuff.
If you are looking for an all-natural whey protein powder, Jarrow Formulas may be a good option to consider. It’s not the priciest on the market, but you can bet that it is of excellent quality.
Health enthusiast, runner, protein nut. Owen likes to write about protein, particularly alternatve supplementation and supplement comparisons.