Last Updated on by
You’d be amazed by all the protein sources that exist on our planet! You can find protein from animals–like chickens, cows, goats, sheep–as well as the products derived from these animals–like milk, cheese, and yogurt.
You can find protein from beans, lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes. Seeds and nuts are also packed with protein, and there are even veggies, plants, and fruits that contain protein.
With so many protein sources, it’s no wonder that so many different types of protein powders exist today.
However, not all proteins are created equal. For those who are looking for a more natural, vegetarian-friendly (vegan protein) source of amino acids, Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder is a worthy option to consider.
I’m particularly excited to be able to offer our readers a special 10% off discount on Ora (all products). Just use this link and enter code ALTPROTEIN at checkout.
Ora Organic Promo Code: To save 10% use this link here and enter code “ALTPROTEIN” at checkout to save 15%.
- 1 A Bit About Ora Organic Protein Powder
- 2 Key Features Worth Talking About
- 3 A Discussion of the Key Nutrients
- 4 Pros of Ora Organic Protein Powder
- 5 Cons of Ora Organic Protein Powder
- 6 Ora Organic Protein Alternatives & Substitutes
- 7 Final Scoop: Ora Organic Protein Powder Review
A Bit About Ora Organic Protein Powder
Ora Organic Protein Powder is a USDA-certified organic protein powder derived entirely from plant sources (often referred to as vegan protein powder).
The vegan protein / vegetarian protein powder is made from protein-rich ingredients like flax, hemp, spirulina, quinoa, rice, and peas. It is an all-natural alternative to whey, egg, and casein proteins, perfect for those who prefer to avoid animal products and want only certified organic protein.
The wide range of ingredients used to make the protein powder guarantees a wider range of amino acids. While many plant-based proteins (like beans, seeds, nuts, hemp, etc.) contain only some of the amino acids needed to produce muscle tissue (muscle mass), combining the ingredients ensures that you get all the muscle-building proteins you need.
Key Features Worth Talking About
- 18 grams of protein per serving
- 6 grams of net carbs (carbs minus fiber) per serving (supports healthy weight loss)
- USDA-certified Organic; 100% natural
- Dairy, soy, gluten, and GMO-free
- Organic greens and Superfood protein powder blend
- Made in the USA
- Keto friendly
- Multiple flavors, including chocolate flavor
- Robust amino acid profile
- Supports healthy weight loss
- Designed to mix well as a protein shake
- No added sugar; no artificial sweeteners or articial flavors (no stevia)
- Price: $49.99 for 560 grams (1.2 pounds) (SAVE 10% with code ALTPROTEIN at checkout here)
- 100% Vegan and Vegetarian-friendly (plant-based diet)
A Discussion of the Key Nutrients
The list of ingredients in this protein powder includes ingredients like sprouted amaranth, quinoa, spirulina, kale, blueberry, strawberry, maqui berry, sprouted rice, peas, hemp, flax seed, wheat grass, oat grass, chlorella, and sacha inchi.
All of these ingredients are 100% natural vegan and non-GMO, making this an ideal product for consumers who want only the best Mother Nature can provide as an organic superfood supplement.
The fact that the protein is plant-based (vegan) means that it’s a bit harder for your body to utilize than whey protein. However, it’s designed to be easy on your digestion, with none of the stomach upset or fullness that comes from animal-derived protein powders.
The high fiber content of the protein powder will actually improve digestion and elimination of waste and can support healthy weight loss.
The protein powder also contains a wide range of antioxidants, which will improve heart health, eliminate toxins, and boost your immunity. The powder is fully USDA-Certified Organic, meaning it is made without exposure to growth hormones, pesticides, and harmful chemicals. If you want all-natural protein powder, this is a decent option to consider.
There are no sweeteners, chemicals, or flavorings, giving this protein powder a more natural flavor.
Pros of Ora Organic Protein Powder
Here are a few of the good things users have had to say about Ora Organic Protein Powder:
- Good Taste: Unlike many plant-based protein powders, this one is far less “green”. The combination of berries, plants, grains, and seeds makes it a more versatile protein powder in terms of taste. The Vanilla Chai flavor makes it easy to enjoy, and it masks a lot of the “plant-y” flavor of the protein powder. Definitely a good one for those who want to enjoy their protein shakes.
- Fully natural and organic: This is one of the few plant-based protein powders that can lay claim to the USDA-Certified Organic label. While this means that it will be pricier than non-organic products, it also means that there are all natural, non-GMO ingredients used in the production of the protein powder. There is a far lower risk of exposure to hormones and chemicals with Ora Organic.
- Mixes well: The protein powder is best when mixed in a blender, but it can be mixed into your milk, shakes, or oatmeal using a spoon. It is one of the easiest plant-based proteins to mix even without a blender.
- Easy on digestion: For those who have digestive problems, this is an easy choice. The plant-based protein powder goes through your digestive system easily, and it’s great for those allergic to dairy, soy, and gluten.
- No Stevia: While stevia can be an acceptable sweetener, it typically introduces a unique taste that then has to be masked with many other ingredients. Rather than using stevia, Ora just uses a small amount of real organic sugar to take the edge off.
Cons of Ora Organic Protein Powder
As with any product, there are a few negative things people had to say about Ora Organic Protein Powder:
- Expensive: Compare this protein powder to your basic whey or casein protein, and the price is off the charts. At $50 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here) for just over 1 pound of protein powder, you’re spending a lot of money. However, it is a quality product, one worth the expense if you want only organic ingredients.
- Can cause digestive upset: A number of reviewers have commented on the fact that the protein powder “goes right through them”. The fact that it’s plant-based means that it’s easier to break down than animal-based proteins but harder for the body to utilize. You may get fewer amino acids per serving than you would with whey or casein protein.
- Large serving size: Not only are you paying more for a smaller container, but you use twice as much as other protein powders (protein pwer serving). The serving size is two scoops rather than one, meaning you’ll run out far faster. That said, you can use code ALTPROTEIN to take 10% off your order here.
- Powdery texture: Many users have complained about a chalky, powdery, or gritty texture to the protein powder, even when mixed in the blender. This is due to the fact that the plant-based ingredients aren’t fully water-soluble.
Ora Organic Protein Alternatives & Substitutes
If you’re not thrilled about Ora Organic Protein Powder, here are a few other options to consider:
Naked Pea is another US-made protein powder, with yellow pea protein as the only ingredient (vegan protein).
It’s easy on the digestive tract but far less likely to cause digestive upset as a simple vegan supplement. You get 27 grams of protein per serving (33% more than Ora Organic) and just 2 grams of carbs (66% less), plus 5.7 grams of BCAAs for more effective muscle-building.
At $55 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here) for 5 pounds of the vegetarian and vegan-friendly protein powder, it’s a good alternative to consider.
Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein (Vegan Protein Powder)
Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein is derived from sprouted grains (chia seeds, etc..), but it also comes with probiotics and digestive enzymes that will enhance digestion. It’s a good option for those with sensitive digestive tracts, and it’s fully vegan/vegetarian. It only delivers 17 grams of protein per serving, but it also contains a wide range of vitamins derived from fully raw and natural ingredients.
There is no cooking or processing with this USDA-Certified Organic protein powder. It’s also slightly more affordable than Ora Organic–just $30 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here) for a 1.4-pound tub.
Orgain Protein Powder is more than just a protein powder; it’s an entire meal in one serving. Each scoop contains 20 grams of organic plant-based protein, 8 grams of fiber, vitamins derived from real foods, and a healthy dose of carbs for energy.
It claims to be “the best-tasting”, and many users have backed up these claims–particularly in the case of the “Creamy Chocolate Fudge” flavor. At $30 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here) for a 2-pound tub, it’s a very good alternative.
Final Scoop: Ora Organic Protein Powder Review
If you want only USDA-certified Organic plant-based products (gluten free) and are willing to pay top dollar for it, Ora Organic Protein Powder is definitely great natural complete protein product (works well with diet trends e.g. keto protein powder).
With its great taste, digestion-friendly ingredients, rich vitamin profile, 100% vegan ingredients, soy free, complete amino acid profile, and whole food ingredients, you’ll find that it’s a worthwhile investment. Just be prepared to spend a lot more than you would on other cheaper protein powders.
- How to Find the Best Protein Powder: The Full Alt Protein Guide
- Onnit Hemp Force (Hemp Protein Powder) Review
- Best Bone Broth Powder Supplements (Keto Diet Friendly)
Health enthusiast, runner, protein nut. Owen likes to write about protein, particularly alternatve supplementation and supplement comparisons.