When you’re looking for BCAAs and the choice comes down to Scivation Xtend vs Amino X, which one should you choose? Let’s look at flavor options, sizes, and ingredients to see which one is the best BCAA powder for your needs.
- 1 All About Scivation Xtend
- 2 Scivation Xtend vs Amino X: Is Amino X Better?
- 3 Comparison: Scivation Xtend vs Amino X
- 4 Other Options to Consider
All About Scivation Xtend
There are several different types of Scivation Xtend, all set on helping you achieve your fitness goals, whatever they may be.
- If you want to lean out, there’s one for that.
- Train hard for hours at a time? There’s another one for that.
- Generally into fitness, maintain a regular, reasonable workout schedule and want a boost in hydration and amino acids for muscle repair? The regular one is perfect.
Each serving contains seven grams of BCAAs: L-Leucine, L-Glutamine, L-Isoleucine, and L-Valine. It has a highly recommended 2:1:1 ratio that will help you grow all the muscle and strength possible from your workouts.
The electrolytes and citrulline malate in Scivation Xtend are there to make sure you have the endurance it takes to finish your workout.
One of the best things about Scivation Xtend is the variety of flavors. These are the regular Scivation Xtend flavors:
- Blood orange
- Blue raspberry
- Freedom Ice
- Fruit Punch
- Lemon Lime
- Green apple
- Pina colada
- Pink lemonade
- Strawberry Kiwi
- Strawberry mango
It comes in a few sizes:
- 30 servings
- 90 servings
- 20 servings
- 12-count beverages
Other Types of Xtend
Scivation Xtend has most of the bases covered with the regular version, but they didn’t stop there. There are others:
- Xtend FREE: No artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors added. Only natural ingredients here. This is the one I’ve tried, and it’s delicious and effective. My favorite flavor is Mango.
- Xtend Elite: Extra ingredients that are included to help you focus, train hard, pump your muscles, all without stimulants.
- Xtend Ripped: Designed for people who are cutting. CLA and Capsimax help you lose fat while supporting the increase in lean muscle mass and hydration. There are no stimulants in this formula.
- Xtend GO: Want caffeine? This is the one you need. It pumps your muscles, gives you a boost in energy (time-released energy over six hours), and provides the electrolytes you’d expect from Scivation Xtend. This one’s great if you’ll be training for a long time.
I have personally tried Scivation Xtend and have been impressed by how well it blends with water in a shaker bottle. I use more water than it suggests because the flavor is strong (delicious, but strong).
Is It Effective?
With such high ratings across the board, I would say Scivation Xtend is effective. There are well over 6000 total reviews just on Amazon, and the average is about four out of five stars.
In my personal experience, I feel more hydrated, recover more quickly, and can work out longer. When I’m done working out, my body can handle the rest of the day without feeling exhausted. That’s not always the case when I’m just relying on water during my workout and a protein shake after I’m done.
Scivation Xtend vs Amino X: Is Amino X Better?
It depends on what you’re looking for. If you want some unusual flavors you won’t find anywhere else, this could be it for you. Amino X has the same 2:1:1 ratio that Scivation Xtend has (for growing lean muscle mass and getting stronger), plus some vitamin D, which a lot of people tend to need more of.
Amino X is also sugar-free, carb-free, and calorie-free, so it shouldn’t interfere with any of your macro-tracking, even if you’re in an incredibly strict phase.
- Blue Raz
- Caffeinated Cola and Cherry Cola
- Caffeinated Dr. Amino
- Fruit Punch
- Green Apple
- Strawberry Dragonfruit
- Strawberry Orange
- Tropical Pineapple
Not all flavors are available in all size options. Sizes available:
- 30 servings
- 20 servings caffeinated
- 25 servings (Coldstone Creamery flavor)
- 70 servings
Comparison: Scivation Xtend vs Amino X
A lot is going on with both products, and it could be hard to even make a solid comparison for Scivation Xtend vs Amino X without a chart, so let’s do that:
Less than 1g
Amino acids present
L-Leucine, L-Glutamine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine
L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Alanine, Micronized Taurine, Micronized L-Citrulline
BCAA 2:1:1 (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine), L-Glutamine, L-Citrulline Malic Acid 1:1, sodium citrate dihydrate USP/FCC, potassium chloride with .5 percent MgCO3, flavors, citric acid FCC, sodium chloride, sucralose, malic acid, acesulfame potassium, artificial colors, MCT oil
Micronized BCAA Blend (L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), L-Alanine, Micronized Taurine, Micronized L-Citrulline, citric acid, malic acid, sodium bicarbonate, cholecalciferol, natural and artificial flavors, silicon dioxide, lecithin, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, artificial colors
Around $20.00 to $40.00
$10.00 to $30.00
Blood Orange, Blue Raspberry, Freedom Ice, Fruit Punch, Watermelon, Lemon Lime, Mango, Grape, Green Apple, Margarita, Pina Colada, Pineapple, Pink Lemonade, Raw, Strawberry Kiwi, Strawberry Mango, and Tangerine
Watermelon, Blue Raz, Caffeinated Cola, Caffeinated Cherry Cola, Fruit punch, Caffeinated Dr. Amino, Germanchocolatekake, Grape, Green Apple, Strawberry-Dragonfruit, Strawberry Orange, Tropical Pineapple, Unflavored
Number of servings per container
20, 30, or 90 available (plus 12-count beverage option)
20, 25, 30, or 70, but not all flavors are available in all sizes
None in the regular, but the GO version has caffeine and L-Theanine
Sucralose and acesulfame potassium in most, but the Xtend Free version has stevia
Sucralose and acesulfame potassium
Ideal 2:1:1 ratio, lots of variety, electrolytes, easy to find
An ideal ratio of 2:1:1, contains 12.5 mcg of Vitamin D per serving, interesting flavors, fairly easy to find
Where to buy
Amazon, GNC, The Vitamin Shoppe, Target, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Vitacost, Kroger, Target
Amazon, Kroger, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Lucky Vitamin, GNC, Vitacost, The Vitamin Shoppe
How does it taste?
Delicious, and there’s a big variety of flavors
Delicious, and there’s a big variety of flavors
How does it mix?
When should you use it?
Before, during, or after workouts. Any time is fine, though.
Before, during, or after workouts. Two servings a day.
How to use it
Mix with water and drink it before, during, or after workouts. I prefer a shaker cup for mixing.
Mix with water. Don’t eat or drink anything for 20 minutes after consuming. Use it for three months, then take at least a month off.
Either Will Work for Most People
In most ways, these are close enough for me just to say buy the one that fits your budget best, comes in the flavor you want to try, is convenient to purchase, or has the number of servings you want.
They both will get the job done, in that they’ll help you perform better and longer in the gym, stay hydrated, and build lean muscle mass in combination with a healthy diet.
What They Have in Common
Both are designed to help you stay hydrated before, during, and after your workout while also promoting lean, healthy muscle growth. There are no sugars or carbohydrates to worry about.
Both have L-citrulline and malic acid or citrulline malate, which are there to promote a healthy circulatory system and boost blood and oxygen flow.
Both have L-Glutamine, which supports the healthy function of the digestive and immune systems (in addition to helping the body build muscle with that 2:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine that’s so important), especially when your body is stressed. And yeah, working out hard puts stress on the body, even if it’s “good” stress.
When to Choose Amino X
- You suspect you’re vitamin D deficient (Amino X vs Scivation Xtend is an easy choice)
- You like experimenting with flavors
- Your budget’s extremely tight
When to Choose Scivation Xtend
Comparing the two regular versions of Scivation Xtend vs Amino X leaves you with the answer: Either. However, if you want something more tailored to your specific, unusual goals, Scivation Xtend wins.
- You want something without artificial sweeteners and colors (Scivation Xtend Free)
- You want extra help cutting (Ripped)
- You’re training for an extra-long time (Elite)
- You want to add MCTs to your diet for the potential enhanced focus, better HIIT performance, and endurance
Other Options to Consider
The Scivation Xtend vs Amino X will get you to a fantastic BCAA no matter which one you choose, but there are others on the market to consider, too:
- 1UP Nutrition: Great taste but only comes in a handful of flavors and in 30-serving tubs. The For Her version contains glutamine, collagen, and ingredients for extra hydration. The For Him version has glutamine, joint support, and hydration complex.
- BPI Sports Best BCAA: Only a handful of flavors and you can only get it in 30 or 60 serving tubs. Contains a proprietary CLA matrix that could promote fat loss and improved skin.