Vitamix is one of the most popular brands for juicers and blenders, thanks to their high quality, durable appliances. Thanks to their high-powered motors and practical designs, Vitamix blenders can be found in nearly every department store in the country. For years, the most famous Vitamix model was the 5000, but the 2007 release of the Vitamix 5200 blew the older model out of the water.
The high-efficiency powerful motor, shatterproof plastic container, and the energy-saving design made the 5200 the model to beat. Then, in 2013, Vitamix released the 7500, a redesigned blender that offered better performance and higher efficiency.
Now comes the real question, “Is the new and innovative better than the tried and tested?” Below, we take a look at the Vitamix 5200 and compare it to the 7500 to determine which is better.
- 1 Design
- 2 Engine Power
- 3 Noise
- 4 How to Use Vitamix 5200
- 5 How to Use Vitamix 7500
- 6 User Reviews
- 7 Price
- 8 Alternative to Try
- 9 Our Conclusions
Let’s start with the “Tale of the Tape” and compare the two blenders:
- 20.5″ x 8.75″ x 7.25″
- 10.56 lbs.
- Cord Length – 6 Ft.
- 17.5″ x 9.4″ x 7.7″
- 12.5 lbs.
- Cord Length – 6 Ft.
As you can see, the newer model is a bit heavier and wider than the older model, but it’s shorter. This means it’s more compatible with apartments and homes with smaller kitchens. At the same time, it takes up more space on your counter, meaning less room for other appliances.
In terms of appearance, you won’t see much difference between the two Vitamix models. The 5200 is a bit taller and slimmer, while the 7500 has beautiful curves. But it’s the container itself that sets the two models apart:
Vitamix 5200 – This blender has a taller container, but it doesn’t have as much space near the blades (at the base).
Vitamix 7500 – This blender is wider, and it has a wider container base—leading to more efficient blending. The blades are also 1 inch longer, so you can chop more food.
Winner: The 7500’s updated design makes for more efficient blending all around!
The more powerful your blender engine, the easier it will chop through whatever you’re trying to blend. However, be warned: powerful engines also have a higher risk of burnout!
The Vitamix 5200 received a power upgrade from the 5000, with a 2.0 horsepower engine installed. The machine runs at 60 Hz and 11.5 amps.
The Vitamix 7500 has once again had its power upgraded from the 5200, with an engine that pumps out 2.2 horsepower. It also runs at between 50 and 60 Hz and 12 amps.
Winner: The Vitamix 7500’s engine has more power, yet is designed to be less likely to burn out.
Blenders make noise—not much you can do about that! But when you’re considering blenders, you definitely want one that makes as little noise as possible, right?
The Vitamix 5200 produces an average amount of noise when you run it. It’s not overly noisy, but it’s not too silent. However, in the 6 years between the 5200 and 7500, Vitamix had time to develop noise-reducing technology. They also add vibration-dampening elements, which help to cut the noise output of the blender by as much as 40%!
Winner: The 7500 runs a bit quieter, and that can make all the difference in a noisy household.
How to Use Vitamix 5200
Step 1 – Operating Instructions
- First, make sure you place it on a level surface and that the base or the cord is not wet in order to avoid any electrical shocks;
- Choose the ingredients you will use and chop bigger items like fruits and vegetables into smaller pieces. Nuts and seeds can be added as they are;
- Do not process the mixture for more than 60 seconds, especially when preparing oil-based beverages or nut butter. Otherwise, the blender might get overheated;
- You should never fill the blender’s cup to its maximum capacity. Also, another important thing to consider is starting the blending process on the lowest available speed;
- There are two different blades. One is a wet blade that processes frozen mixtures, soups, liquids, sauces, and batters. It also works for wet chopping. The second blade is a dry one, marked with a “D.” This blade is used to grind dry ingredients like coffee, grains or cereals but it is also good for when you want to blend dough;
- Vitamix 5200 has a control panel where you will find an on/off button, variable speed settings, and a variable speed dial.
Preparing a Recipe
- Load the container with all the needed ingredients, close it with the lid, and place it on the base. Liquids must go first in the cup while solid foods should be included last;
- Set the machine in the Variable position which is the speed 1. Activate the blender by pushing the switch button to On. You can increase the speed gradually;
- The entire mixing should not take more than 30 seconds. When finished, you must turn the blender off and remove the lid or the entire cup off the motor base.
Step 2 – Cleaning the Blender
- To clean the container, you must fill it with water until it is half full. Also, add a small amount of dishwashing detergent; no more than a few drops;
- Put the lid on the container and place it in the locked position on the base. Then, press variable speed 1 and turn the blender on. Finally, increase the speed until it reaches the maximum level. Run the appliance for about 30-60 seconds. Turn it off and rinse it thoroughly;
- For the base and the blades, you should use a damp cloth and just wipe these components but be careful because the blades are very sharp.
How to Use Vitamix 7500
Step 1 – Operating Instructions
- Many of the guidelines provided for the 5200 model apply to Vitamix 7500 as well. This tool has the same two blades and the safety instructions remain the same;
- Something that differentiates the Vitamix 7500 from the 5200 model is a useful addition that consists of a Pulse setting
- On the control panel, you will find the on/off switch, the start/stop button, the pulse setting, and the variable speed dial;
- Prepare your ingredients, set the variable speed dial to 1, and load the container. Then, place it on the power base and securely lock the lid. Start the on switch and activate the blender by lifting up the Start/Stop button. Finally, you can slowly increase the machine’s blending speed;
- Turn the appliance off and don’t handle the container until the blades are completely stopped. Remove the lid and enjoy your beverage.
Step 2 – Cleaning the Blender
- When it comes to cleaning the blender, the instructions are pretty much the same as those of the 5200 model: use lukewarm water to fill the container and process it for maximum 60 seconds while also gradually increasing the speed;
- To sanitize the other components, you must use a damp rag for the base and the blades. The lids can be washed in warm soapy water. Don’t forget to rinse all the elements.
In the end, specifications and product details take second place to customer satisfaction. It doesn’t matter how well a company says their product runs; it’s only once you test it for yourself that you see how well it REALLY runs. Short of going to your nearest department store and trying out the blenders, your best option for finding out the truth about the blenders is reading customer reviews.
Vitamix 5200 – This blender has 131 reviews on Amazon, with an average of 4.8 out of 5 stars. Here are some of the reviews:
- ” Inexpensive it is not, but as much as I hate the price–which is why I gave this four stars and not five— I have to admit that this blender works extremely well.”
- “Huge benefit is that it is a complete cinch to clean. Other blenders get gunk in all the blades and base and everywhere. You can virtually rinse the Vitamix out intact and it is clean as a whistle!”
- “Be assured that this product is worth the extra money. It is a great design, well manufactured and a good value for your food dollar.”
- “I need more than a 5 Star option here!!! Just made my first smoothie and realized the ones I made before now were a joke compared to this, everything (including spinach) blended so perfectly, it is like sipping on tasty liquid velvet. I also have an Omega juicer which is great but also extremely time consuming, nutrient absorption and overall used produce/ other ingredient content between the 2 methods is very different and both are beneficial in their own ways, but this blender is a super fast prep/ combine/ clean up deal making it a way better option for getting fresh nutrients on the go. I thought it was surprisingly quiet and is only loud in the higher speeds and with smoothies will only be used very briefly (less than a minute) judging by what I made today which included frozen fruit. Daily life and habits will never be the same and I’m sooooo happy I finally dropped the cash for this!!!” Sarah W., Amazon
- “On high speed, the blender container moves around and comes unattached to the spinning mechanism, otherwise, it blends and chops everything.”
- “The amount of frustration that I experienced trying to fish out the contents was very aggravating. I had to purchase a special spatula to get past the blades and even then I lost about 1/4th of every batch of whatever I made due to not being able to get it out of the jar. The ridges up and down the sides make it very difficult to scrape anything out as well.”
Vitamix 7500 – The blender has 301 reviews on Amazon, with a 4.6 out of 5-star rating. Here are some of the reviews:
- “This thing is AMAZING! It chews up anything and everything. No matter what you feed it it ALWAYS comes out with ZERO solids, if you wish.”
- “This baby is built MACK TRUCK TOUGH… The look and feel definitely puts you in the mood to pulverize some solids as soon as you get it on the counter. The rubber handle feels good in the hand and while I thought that I would prefer a glass container, I am very satisfied with the dense industrial plastic that the 7500 sports. The dials and buttons are purpose-built, simple to the touch and work great.”
- “We were pleasantly surprised with how quiet this blender is. The tamp and quietness were two primary considerations in choosing this.”
- “First unit burnt out within first 30 days, Amazon rocks with returns. Got a replacement and seems ok.”
- “The top is really unwieldy and takes two hands and a firm pull to get it off. The top also adds substantially to the height causing the blender to barely miss fitting under our cabinets.”
Winner: The 7500 may not have as high a rating, but there are far more positive reviews than there are for the 5200.
This is one of the sticking points for people considering the 7500. At over $500, it’s a VERY pricey option! For the latest discounts and prices.
However, the 5200 isn’t much cheaper—a whopping $420+. Check out the latest prices and discounts. If you’re looking for a professional, high-quality blender, it may be worth paying the added $80 and getting the 7200.
Winner: The 5200 wins in terms of price, but the value of the 7200 makes it the winner over the long term.
Alternative to Try
Both Vitamix 5200 and 7500 can be quite expensive, especially for people on a tight budget. So, to them, I say: don’t worry! There is another effective but much cheaper alternative you could consider: the Oster Versa 1400 Blender. It is a mid-range priced appliance that costs less than $200. It comes equipped with a 1400-watt motor which is very powerful and it has a 7-year warranty. The container is BPA-free and has a 64-ounce capacity.
- It is a more affordable blender with a very long warranty;
- It has a powerful motor which makes it effective when chopping thicker ingredients;
- You will also get a shorter jar so, if you use that, the machine won’t occupy a lot of space;
- It is durable due to its metal drive system which lasts a long time.
- Unlike the Vitamix blenders, the Oster Versa doesn’t mix dough;
- The markings can be a bit hard to read.
While the Vitamix 5200 was once the “latest and greatest”, it has taken a back seat to the 7500. The newer model has more power, runs better, fits on more counters, and makes less noise. It may be a bit pricier, but it’s worth paying a bit more for a blender that shows significant improvement over its older brother. If you’re looking for a quality Vitamix blender, you’re better off with the 7500!