In this comparison, I’ll contrast the popular Athletic Greens supplement with Amazing Grass, another best selling superfood supplement.First things first… let’s discuss what makes a good superfood powder and “why” certain ingredients matter to overall health.
Fruits and vegetables are an important part of anyone’s diet. Unfortunately, too many of us live on fast food, sugar and carbohydrates, and caffeine meaning we don’t consume enough fruits and veggies throughout the day.
Special New Year Deal Update: In case you missed it, Athletic Greens has a New Year’s special offer where you can take 21% off + a FREE 1-month supply of their new Grass Fed Whey Protein. This appears to be a limited time thing, so I’d recommend checking it out here in case you’ve been on the fence.
- 1 Why Are Super Greens so Important?
- 2 Athletic Greens SuperFood Powder
- 3 Amazing Grass Green Superfood
- 4 The Quick Facts Comparison
- 5 The Verdict – Which to Go With?
Why Are Super Greens so Important?
Fruits and vegetables contain vital vitamins and minerals to help keep our bodies healthy and running correctly. They support our immune system, help with digestion, and keep us energized throughout the day so perhaps we won’t need that 2pm pick-me-up coffee break.
Thankfully in the recent years nutrition supplement companies have recognized that people need more fruits and vegetables in their diet and developed greens powder supplements. These greens powders contain “superfoods” like barley and wheat grasses and copious amounts of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
While you’ll certainly find multiple options at every price point on the shelf at the health food store, not all of them are created equally. Both Athletic Greens and Amazing Grass are both high-quality companies with a strong customer following, lots of positive reviews, and a good reputation in the industry.
Athletic Greens Superfood Powder is Athletic Green’s most popular product and for good reason. It is a blend of 75 ingredients combined for optimal health and enhanced energy. Consumers have been raving about the product for years. Amazing Grass is another great company focused on producing high quality organic products to improve your overall health using small farms across America.
Both products are very similar, which makes it difficult to decide between them. So which one is better? Let us take an in-depth look at each product and see which one we recommend.
Athletic Greens SuperFood Powder
Athletic Greens SuperFood Powder is a popular greens powder supplement designed for athletes in mind. Athletic Greens is a New Zealand-based company dedicated to producing only the best nutritional products formulated by research scientists and nutritionists sold at “direct from manufacturer” pricing (note: this might be an exaggeration).
- 75 Whole Food Ingredients: Athletic Greens is made from 75 whole food sourced ingredients and contains probiotics and enzymes to aid in optimal nutrient absorption and digestion. Each serving contains up to 12 servings of fruits and vegetables so you know you are getting a high dose of healthy vitamins and phytonutrients.
- Mostly Organic and State of the Art Processing: Athletic Greens uses mostly organic ingredients, or at least from high quality natural sources. The company freeze-dries all its greens ingredients to preserve their molecular structure and then cold-mill them into a powder. Many companies often hot-mill their ingredients into powder, which can damage enzymes and nutrients.
- GMO and Allergen Free: Athletic Greens are also GMO-free and contain no gluten, wheat, dairy, peanuts, lactose, or basically anything that could cause an allergic reaction. Although the company claims to use no sweeteners, it does use Stevia, which is listed under the herb section.
- Best Tasting Greens Supplement I’ve Tried: I really liked the taste of Athletic Greens. Unlike some greens supplements, this one doesn’t taste like dirt. The flavor is mild and pleasant in just water. But, we recommend throwing the powder into a smoothie for the best taste.
- Higher Price: While Athletic Greens contains a high-quality nutritional profile and tastes good, it unfortunately is priced out of too many people’s budget. A 30-day supply will set you back about $105.00 a month (see here for latest pricing) . That’s about $3.50 per serving. It is one of the most expensive products per serving on the health food store shelf. Is it worth it? It really depends on you. UPDATE: We also now have a special promo code to save 20% off here using code “ALTPROTEIN“.
Pros of Athletic Greens SuperFood Powder
- Uses only high-quality natural ingredients from whole food sources
- Good flavor and texture
- High in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
Cons of Athletic Greens SuperFood Powder
- Very expensive at $3.50 per serving
- Misleading label about using no sweeteners
Amazing Grass Green Superfood
Amazing Grass Green SuperFood is a popular greens powder supplement. Todd and Brandon began by mixing green drinks for their friends and co-workers and later founded Amazing Grass in 2002. The company is dedicated to using only the highest-quality organic, non-GMO fruits and vegetables grown on small farms across America.
- Diverse Nutrient Profile: Green SuperFood is a blend of nutritious greens, phytonutrient-packed fruits, vegetables, cereal grasses, digestive enzymes, and probiotics. Basically everything you need to increase your energy, promote detoxification, and boost your immune system.
- More Texture Than Athletic Greens: I found the Green SuperFood to taste a bit like grass. It’s a bit gritty and slightly bitter. It’s not a powder you want to guzzle down in straight water. I recommend in a smoothie or yogurt with fruit for a better experience.
- Not the Highest Potency: While the ingredient list is quite extensive, the company could use some higher potency on some of its ingredients. For example, you’re barely getting over a gram per serving of antioxidants. It’s the same for the enzymes and probiotics.
- Phenomenal Price: One of the major positives about the Green SuperFood supplement is its price. It is much more budget-friendly compared to the Athletic Greens. A 30-serving container generally retails for about $30 a tub (check here for latest pricing) making each serving only about $1.00. A third of the price of Athletic Greens!
Pros of Amazing Grass Green SuperFood
- Budget-friendly at $1.00 per serving
- Uses high-quality organic, non-GMO ingredients
Cons of Amazing Grass Green SuperFood
- It tastes like grass and is a bit more gritty
- Could use a boost in nutritional content
The Quick Facts Comparison
|Athletic Greens||Amazing Grass|
|Ingredient Source||Mostly organic, Natural sources||Organic, non-GMO|
|Dietary Needs||Gluten-Free, Free of wheat, dairy, peanut, etc.||Vegan, Gluten-Free|
|Cost per Serving||$3.50 (less with discount here)||$1.00|
|Taste||Mild flavor and good texture||Grassy and gritty|
The Verdict – Which to Go With?
It really depends on what’s important to you. Both products have their pros and cons.
If your concern is mainly about quality and nutritional content then I would recommend Athletic Greens Superfood Powder, but at about $3.50 per serving it is expensive. It’s also a better choice if you will frequently be mixing with water (tastes and mixes better). NOTE: AG does have a special New Year’s promo going on right now which you can check out here.
If you’re on a budget like the rest of us, I’d recommend Amazing Grass Green SuperFood as it is much friendlier on the wallet and is still a high quality product from a company we respect and love.If you are still on the fence, I’d try out Amazing Grass first to see if it does the trick rather than spending more up front.