We can all agree that health is always on our minds. Well, fine, our mind sometimes completely ignores the idea of health, as it happens when we enjoy an entire pound of mouthwatering chocolate ice cream, or an entire pizza, but otherwise, we are interested in health.
Being healthy is not just about avoiding nasty foods and habits. It’s also about providing our body with the nutrients it need in order to repair damage, to build new cells, and to maintain a general state of well-being.
Nowadays, that’s easier said than done, due to the rapid industrial development, and population growth, food isn’t what it used to be. On the other hand, our energy requirement is high, even for those of us who lead a sedentary life, because stress is truly tiring. So we need to look for new sources of nutrients, and these come in handy through natural supplements.
While this is not meant to replace medical advice, some have touted Coenzyme Q10 as a supplement that helps with heart disease. If heart disease runs in your family, or you just want to improve your energy levels, it might be time to consider taking a heart health supplement as well.
One of these supplements is Coenzyme Q10, which caught the attention of specialists almost 50 years ago.
- 1 What is Coq10?
- 2 CoQ10 Product Recommendations
- 3 Nature Wise Ubiguinol
- 4 Pure CoQ10 – TruFormula
- 5 COQSOL-1o
- 6 Final Thoughts on CoQ10
What is Coq10?
Coenzyme Q10 is a vitamin-like molecule that can be found throughout the body. What’s so special about it? Well, this is the interesting part. It is involved in generating energy. Long story short, it helps cells breathe and aids in energy production. Obviously, the better a cell breathes, the longer it will live, the more efficient it will be, and the happier its owner will be.
Where can we find this magic vitamin?
It is found in greater amounts, where it is needed most. This means that larger concentrations are in the main organs: heart, liver kidney and in muscles of animals, including humans. Our body can produce its own CoQ10, but sometimes it needs more than it is able to create.
Why should you consider using a nutritional supplement with Q10?
Because it helps cells create energy and aids in energy production. In a normal environment, where food sources are perfect, the diet is balanced and energy consumption is not too high, no one would need supplements. However, there are not many people, who live in a normal environment, and our energy requirements increase every day.
What does science have to say about it?
Many studies focused on this supplement and many found that it helps build immunity and that it might improve the chances of those suffering from cancer, heart failure, infertility and other diseases.
Nevertheless, a review, that gathered many studies, conducted by the Danish Nutrition Council, in Denmark, concluded that the only valid proof of its efficiency was related to heart failure, and any other claim should be investigated more. However, the same review stated that there were no serious adverse effects for those who used up to 200 mg Q10 for up to 12 months.
Since the market is extremely vast, we’ll take a look at the 3 best Coenzyme Q10 supplements out there, so that you’ll have all the information you need to make a decision about the future of your heart health and overall health as well.
Before we move on, keep in mind that there are two forms of CoQ10: Ubiquinone – the oxidized form and Ubiquinol, the form of CoQ10 that our body needs bots, but we are fully equipped to turn Ubiquinone in Ubiquinol. If you want improvements on a cellular level, then check out my top recommendations for CoQ10 products.
CoQ10 Product Recommendations
Nature Wise Ubiguinol
The first product on our list is Nature Wise’s Ubiquinol. It comes in a plastic bottle with 120 soft gels of 100 mg each, at no less than 37.90$. Each soft gel contains Gelatin, glycerin, water, organic extra virgin oil, medium chain triglycerides, rosemary oil extract, yellow beeswax, sunflower lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate (a fat-soluble form of vitamin C), and 100 mg of ubiquinol. An adult should take one to three soft gels per day with a meal.
The manufacturer makes many claims about this product, let’s examine them.
They say, “Without Ubiquinol, the activated form of CoQ10, the human body is unable to produce or sustain energy”. This is true, but it is also true that the body is able to transform CoQ10 in Ubiquinol, with minimal effort. Also, both forms are useful, so the fact that the supplement offers the “activated form” might just as well be futile.
Another statement is that “Ubiquinol supplementation helps maintain cardiovascular health and prevent free radical cell damage”
A study published in BioFactors, in 2008, showed that patients with congestive heart failure might have a difficult time absorbing CoQ10, and that supplementation with Ubiquinol can improve absorption and left ventricular function. However, many other studies prove CoQ10’s efficiency, so we shouldn’t dismiss the other form just yet.
CoQ10, in its oxidized form, may be more difficult to absorb by elderly people, which may indicate that Ubiquinol is better for them, but not necessarily better for younger people. Before you take any product, it’s important to discuss doses with a trained professional who has your health as their primary concern. Although this is a dietary supplement, dosing and usage is important.
Let’s see the Pros and Cons of this product.
Pros of Nature Wise
- The supplement is found in small soft gels, which are easy to swallow.
- Nature Wise’s Ubiquinol is manufactured in the U.S. and it’s an NSF ( The Public Health and Safety Organization) certified company, which may indicate that it’s safe and that it respects its statements.
- It contains no GMO, it’s gluten-free and kosher. Therefore, anyone can use this supplement.
- Most five star reviews on Amazon were written by people who actually purchased the product.
Cons of Nature Wise
- It’s not the cheapest product on the market, actually, it’s quite expensive. Considering the fact that some people will take more than one soft gel per day, it can cause a small budget problem.
- It is not safe for people allergic to bees or rosemary.
- It doesn’t state the source of the gelatin.
You can see the latest pricing and savings for this product right here.
Pure CoQ10 – TruFormula
The next supplement on our list is Pure CoQ10 – TruFormula. It too comes in a plastic bottle, with 120 capsules, each capsule contains 200 mg of CoQ10. The manufacturer says that they offer a 30-day money back guarantee, and that their supplement offers an energy boost and that it’s vegetarian and natural. Is it really good? Let’s look at the pro’s and con’s to figure it out.
Pros of Pure CoQ10
- The capsules are vegetarian, so no animal product here.
- Each capsule contains 200 mg of CoQ10, so you can take just one per day, and it would be enough for 4 months. Moreover, if your doctor recommends a higher dose, as it happens with heart failure, you’ll find it easier to adjust your dosage.
- Considering the dosage, isn’t that expensive. It comes up to less than 7.5$/month.
- You have a 30-day money back guarantee.
Cons of Pure Coq10
- There is no list of ingredients to be found anywhere.
- If you have allergies, you’ll find out the ingredients, after buying the bottle. If you are allergic to an ingredient, you will be forced to send it back, and benefit from that 30-day money back guarantee.
- Some reviews state that one of the ingredients listed is rice flour, which might be something that isn’t well tolerated by some.
- The company website doesn’t have this product listed, so it’s difficult to find out more information about it.
- From 168, 5-star reviews on Amazon, only 11 were verified to have been written by people who actually purchased the product. You can trust my opinion of it, but it would help if there was safety in numbers.
Moving on, the third supplement on our list is COQSOL-10 by Bri nutrition. It comes in a plastic bottle with 60 soft gels, of 100 mg each. Its ingredients are: Vitamin E – 100 IU, Vitamin A – 2334 IU, Coenzyme Q10 – 100 mg, Gelatin, Magnesium Stearate, and Calcium Carbonate. The manufacturer suggests that you should take one per day, and the whole bottle costs 21.88$.
This doesn’t seem to be just a CoQ10 supplement since it also contains vitamins A and E, but there is a good enough reason to validate the addition of other vitamins to the mix. While we cannot say this is an anti-aging supplement, adding in the other vitamins can help with your skin on a cellular level. Taking care of our bodies on any level, it turns out is good for aging and overall health!
As it turns out, CoQ10 is better absorbed when there is something…oily around. A study published in 2005, in Bio Factors, showed that CoQ10 was more effective when given in an “oily matrix”. The same study suggests that vegetarians have lower CoQ10 levels due to their diet, which is usually poor in fat.
The CoQSol-10 is manufactured in the U.S, in a facility that is inspected by the FDA, and they say that their products are tested by a third party.
So, what are the pros and cons of this supplement?
Pros of COQSOL-10
- Due to the vitamin A and E content, CoQ10 will be better absorbed.
- The addition of extra vitamins comes in handy, because both vitamin A and vitamin B are powerful antioxidants, which aid in cellular regeneration.
- All ingredients are natural.
- The soft gels are small and easy to swallow.
- BRI nutrition offers a satisfaction guarantee, so you can ask for your money back.
- The product is GMP (good manufacturing Practices) certified, which offers a certain degree of safety regarding how the product is made.
- There is a decent amount of five stars reviews on Amazon.
Cons of COQSOL-10
- The same vitamins that make the CoQ10 more efficient may be problematic. You shouldn’t take any other supplements containing vitamin A. Also, pregnant women should avoid vitamin A, at all costs because it can lead to fetal malformation. So, when in doubt…take a pregnancy test before taking this supplement.
- It may seem cheaper than other options on the market, but there are only 60 soft gels, which account for two month’s supply, or only 1 month, if the doctor recommends a higher dose.
- The good reviews on Amazon seem a bit over the top, which could indicate a marketing strategy.
Final Thoughts on CoQ10
Coenzyme Q10 has lots of research to back it up, and along with an overwhelming market, there are many controversies. For a while, certain companies tried to convince costumers that the only good option was Ubiquinol, omitting to mention that the human body is designed to transform the other form of CoQ10, in what it really needs.
Marketing is not usually meant to help us, it’s meant to sell, so before deciding on a product, make sure you have all the information you need, to make an informed decision for you or for your loved ones.