When I speak to people about the benefits of vegan protein, I’m often asked “which is the best vegan protein.” There is no straight answer. Many vegan supplements use a combination of different plant sources and do so successfully.
However, sometimes people have issues with some of the ingredients and/or do like the taste/texture of other supplements. With this in mind, I wanted to do a review of one of the most popular go-to pure hemp protein sources; Nutiva Hemp.
- 1 First Things First: A Little About Hemp
- 2 The Nutrionional Content of Hemp
- 3 Features of Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein
- 4 Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Review- Manufacturer
- 5 Product description
- 6 Direction for use
- 7 Nutiva Organic Hemp – Nutritional Content
- 8 Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein; Pros
- 9 Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein; Cons
- 10 How Does Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Powder Compare with Whey
- 11 What Others Are Saying:
- 12 Alternatives to Nutiva Hemp – Other Options
- 13 Final Thoughts on Nutiva
First Things First: A Little About Hemp
Hemp is a versatile and a hardy plant that has been cultivated for thousands of years. It was first grown in Asia and Middle East before making its way to Europe and later America. Throughout the years, it has been used for various purposes including food, textile, building and bio plastics.
You should not confuse hemp to mean the same things as marijuana. Although the two are closely related, hemp contains trace amounts of THC and does not give psychoactive effects. In America, Hemp was widely cultivated for its fiber, even George Washington, one of the America Founding Fathers, was a large-scale hemp farmer.
The Nutrionional Content of Hemp
Hemp is rich in protein, fiber and omega-fatty acids. Its seeds have a nutty taste and are utilized for a vast variety of commercial and food purposes. It has more than 20 amino acids that include the 9 essential ones.
Consequently, hemp is a densely nutritious food that acts as an addition to the diet of anyone who is looking for plant based protein; it is a perfect option for vegans and vegetarians. The protein that is contained in hemp is easily digestible making hemp a perfect source of protein.
Now that you have realized the importance of hemp, it is time to see in what ways an individual can incorporate it in the diet. There exist three natural ways of consuming hemp as a food, that is grounded powder, natural seeds and hemp oil.
In this review, I will share with you, an account of one specific hemp powder, the Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein.
Features of Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein
- Organic protein powder
- Easy to mix
- Highly soluble powder with little powdery residue after mixing
- More attractive color (dark olive)
- USDA certified organic
- Non GMO Project Verified
- Does not include sweeteners, dairy, lactose, hexane and gluten
- Has a high nutritional value providing, 15 grams of proteins, 6 grams of fiber, high source of iron, and 0.8 grams of omega-3 fatty acids in one serving which is 30 grams; an equivalent of four table spoonful.
- The taste of the product depends on what you mix with, but in its natural state, it has a nutty flavor. In my opinion, I would advise and recommend starting with 2 to 3 table spoons per serving and working the way up to 4 tablespoons from there. Eventually, there a thousand ways to try out this product and make it fit for your taste buds and nutritional necessities.
Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Review- Manufacturer
This natural protein powder is produced by Nutiva, a super foods company that is based in California. Nutiva was formed by John Roulac. The company is pioneering and leading by example in the health food industry by producing wholesome, nutritious and organic hemp foods, chia seeds and coconut oil.
Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein is the perfect alternative or replacement to a meal or a snack. It is energy packed with each serving full of organic raw proteins, fiber and phytonutrients. It has absolute no lactose and Trans fats content. Other than the proteins, Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein has branched amino acids that are important for good health.
It contains edestin (66%) which is a bioactive protein that is not found in any other plant other than hemp; it is very easy to digest.
- 50% protein by weight of raw and certified organic hemp protein
- Other ingredients include; organic guar gum, organic inulin, organic coconut sugar, organic stevia and organic tapioca
Direction for use
Mix or blend 2 to 4 table spoons of Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein with 8 oz. milk, I would recommend almond milk which is superlative and a banana or try the recipe that has been provided by the manufacturer on the container.
Nutiva Organic Hemp – Nutritional Content
Serving size: 4 tablespoons equivalent to 30 grams
Servings per container: approximately 15
|Amount Per Serving||Percentage Daily Value|
|Calories from Fat||25||–|
Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein is not a significant source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A or Calcium. The Daily Percentage Values above are based on a 2000 calorie diet. The daily values may be higher or lower depending on your daily calorie needs.
Amino acid content per serving
Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Pricing
- In stores From US$11.00 to US$17.00 for the 454g/16oz (check here for latest pricing)
The Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein powder is packed in smaller 454g/16oz and also in 3lb bags. The powder is packed in dark containers that shield the Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein powder from light damage. The container is number 2 recyclable plastic jar that has a screw on caps.
Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein is available in local health food stores in both United States and Canada. Additionally, there are online stores that retail it.
Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein; Pros
- Exceptional source of protein
- It has not additives
- An excellence source of omega-3 fatty acids
- It has no preservatives
- It is a certified organic product
- It is free from pesticide
- It is free from gluten
- It is free from lactose and dairy
- It is free from hexane
- It comes at a decent price (check here)
Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein; Cons
- It takes a while to get used to Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein taste and texture; it depends on the amount of the product used.
- Hemp is ranked among the most-dense sources of plant-derived protein foods, and it is a whole source of protein – offering all the essential amino acids. Nuvitas organic hemp protein powder contains as high as 50% protein in a ready to digest form. It’s also a great source of the much needed dietary fiber, minerals including zinc, potassium and magnesium, and chlorophyll. This powder has a nutty flavor that is perfect in baked good and smoothies or any other recipe that can do with a unique fiber or protein boost.
- According to information posted on Nuvitas official site, “Nuvitas oganic hemp protein powder is processed from nutrient packed hemp seeds – one of the planet’s rich source of protein, fiber an omega-3 fatty acids.”
How Does Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Powder Compare with Whey
- Nutiva Organic protein powder is plant base. It is processed from 100% organic hemp seeds; nothing else. On the other hand, whey is animal based. It is derived from isolate by-product released during production of cheese. It is then flavored with artificial sugars, food colorings, and other inorganic materials.
- Since it is plant-derived, hemp protein is very gentle on stomachs and easy to digest. It does not cause indigestion and no instances of bloating has been witnessed on consumption of hemp protein powder. On the other hand, and especially in people with sensitive stomachs and lactose intolerance, whey has been reported to cause bloating and stomach pains.
- Nuvitas organic hemp protein powder is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids. In fact, hemp naturally carries all the essential fatty acids that our bodies need. Whey protein has zero fatty acids and it contains trace amounts of saturated fats and bad cholesterol.
What Others Are Saying:
There are numerous Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein reviews out there and they have all given the product a 4.5 stars rating. Below are two examples of what people are saying,
“It tastes great! My spouse and I love it; we mix it with banana, honey or rice milk and blend it up. I am not sure what other reviewers have been talking about since it mixes just fine…the probably did not think to use a blender.” 4th April 2009
Umbridge on 6th September 2014 said “I am a great fun of almost all hemp proteins for certain applications but in my opinion it just a matter of taste. People love the nutty flavor which is my favorite but another group gags over hemp. Nonetheless it is a great protein for anyone who is looking for tasty plain, high quality hemp protein powder.
You should not expect it to mix easily and thoroughly like soy or whey or other proteins. Just like me, you can play around with it and discover ways you like; I find it great in some smoothies, protein pancakes or in chia puddings”
Alternatives to Nutiva Hemp – Other Options
There is more than just Nutiva when it comes to hemp protein. The following are a few other hemp supplements worth checking out if Nutiva isn’t quite what you are looking for.
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro: Manitoba is a similar high quality hemp supplement, but it offers a bit more fiber than Nutiva (13 grams vs 11). Otherwise it’s nearly identical. I particularly like to use it in baking recipes as the consistency is a bit more conducive to baking. You can check out the pricing options here.
Navitas Naturals Organic Hemp: Navitas is also certified organic, but offers a bit more protein (12 grams vs 11 from Manitoba and Nutiva). It’s a bit more expensive on a per serving basis than Nutiva, but still a good option to consider. You can check pricing here.
Final Thoughts on Nutiva
In summary, hemp protein powder is the new way to a complete diet. It is 100% natural, plant-derived, and easy to digest meaning no gastric distress on use. It is often thought to be a superfood due to its high levels of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids.
I personally think it’s finally time to recognize hemp protein as a legitimate protein source, thanks in part to Nutiva.
You can get a good deal on a 3 pound bag for a very competitive price.