Last Updated on
Vega One is one of the higher end protein shake options that many people have referred me to. After experimenting with a vegan diet, I decided to try Vega One out to see if it could measure up to other shakes that I had tried. Vega One is particularly intriguing because it has a wholistic plant-based mixture. With a full nutritional profile, there is a lot to like about Vega, including the fact that it is a 100% vegan dairy-free health supplement (Check out the 7 best tasting vegan protein powders).
For the purposes of this review, I looked at the all-in-one protein blend, which also happens to be the most popular selection according to customer reviews and ratings.
Features of Vega One
The following are some of the notable features that stood out to me:
- 100% Plant Protein: Some people look down on plant protein as inferior to whey or casein, but largely without much factual background. Vega One delivers a powerful protein much without any dairy products. This is perfect for people with sensitive stomachs, dairy sensitivities or outright intolerance’s. Even for someone without any “issues” with dairy, this type of plant-based supplement can act as a “cleanse” to detox your body.
- Tons of Super Foods: Vega One has all the antioxidants, probiotics, and other digestive aids that you might want. It is packed full of omega-3’s, maca root, kale, broccoli, chlorella, spinach, alfalfa, and much more. This is probably more than I would normally get, even with a green diet. This is also a nice contrast to Shakeology which markets a lot of exotic superfoods as their key difference maker.
- High Fiber: With 6 grams of fiber, Vega One immediately helped me regulate my metabolism which has a huge positive health impact overall.
Pros of Vega One
- No Side Effects: I actually feel better after taking Vega One, even without exercise. It is the ideal whole-body supplement.
- Gentle On The Stomach: This is a highly underrated benefit that I really love about Vega One. I hate the feeling of shakes just sitting in my stomach and I do not get that feeling at all with this mixture. Here are the 5 best protein supplements for sensitive stomachs.
- Low Sugar: 1 gram of sugar is outstanding for a protein supplement, even a vegan one.
- Low Sodium: I hate it when supplements load on the sodium as a cheap flavoring choice. I really like Vega One because they only have 30mg per serving. This is among the lowest I have seen for protein shakes in this class.
- Moderate Calories: Only 135 calories is not bad, especially for all of the ingredients. For a meal replacement, this is ideal.
Cons of Vega One
Price: At close to $55-70 per container retail For the latest prices and discounts, check here, Vega One is not the cheapest protein supplement. I maintain that you get what you pay for, but I do understand that this might be outside some folks budgets. Thankfully, Amazon is having a pretty good deal here, where you can save a good amount.
Vega One vs Shakeology
Now a lot of people have a vested interest in promoting shakeology because of the network marketing aspect of it, so it’s pretty hard to fine 100% honest information online. With this in mind, I wanted to take some basic criteria to compare the two products. Here are the main points of comparison that I have found:
- Similar Ingredients: Both have rice protein, pea protein, savi seed protein and all of the assorted superfoods (maca, goji berry, etc…).
- More Protein: Vega One comes out with slightly more protein per serving at 20g to Shakeology’s 17g. Key difference here.
- MSM: Shakeology has 250mg of MSM which is supposed to help with joint and muscle pain. While this is a benefit for some, I don’t think this is crucial to a good supplement. If I want anti-inflammatory medication I will get it over the counter at my pharmacy. I’d prefer not to have it mixed in with my protein.
- Sugar: Vega One has only 1 gram of sugar, while Shakeology has 9 grams. This is a MAJOR difference that I don’t think most people are aware of. Sugar can be seriously detrimental to weight loss efforts.
- Salt: Vega One has only 30mg, Shakeology has 150mg. While not the highest sodium content that I’ve seen, I’ll take the much lower total per serving all day long.
- Business Model: I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been approached by “distributors” pushing Shakeology on me. It’s not that it’s a terrible supplement, but the people selling it really have no idea what they are talking about. It’s kind of like a pyramid scheme or multi-level marketing system. They’ve been very successful at what they do, but I get turned off by my “friends” trying to convince me to buy through them. I’m a trainer myself so it’s even more of a nuisance.
- Cost: Despite Vega One being among the more pricey supplements, it is still far less expensive that Shakeology. Vega One averages $2.65 per serving, while Shakeology is over $4 per serving (based on a 44 gram serving of each).
At A Glance: Shakeology vs Vega One Comparison Table
|Shakeology (30 Servings)||160||1g||150mg||17g||6g||6g||17g||(For the latest prices and discounts, check here)|
|Vega One (20 servings)||160||0.5g||30mg||10g||6g||<1g||20g||(For the latest prices and discounts, check here)|
Where to Buy Vega One
Hopefully this Vega One shake review has helped you make a purchasing decision. Like I mentioned earlier, the best place to find consistently good savings is at Amazon. I’ve checked out the other retailers and their prices are always at least a few dollars higher. See below for updated live pricing details.
- Vega Pre Workout Supplements – Complete Review of the best supplements to try
- Top Reasons Why I Love Vega Protein and Greens Protein Powder
- Vega One Nutritional Shake Review – Vega One vs Shakeology
- Orgain vs Vega One – Which One Is Better
Health enthusiast, runner, protein nut. Owen likes to write about protein, particularly alternatve supplementation and supplement comparisons.